Harvest on Wheels (HOW) collects and transports food donated by generous farmers, gardeners and other caring neighbors to local hunger relief agencies. The all-volunteer group began as a service project of southwest Missouri Democrats in the spring of 2009 and incorporated as a freestanding Missouri nonprofit organization in November 2010. Since its inception, HOW has collected more than 120,000 lbs. of fresh produce and nonperishable food items and more than $12,000 for Ozarks Food Harvest and its 250 member agencies.
Here’s how YOU can help provide nutritious food to people in need:
• Donate food on Saturday mornings at the HOW Donation Station at the Greater SpringfieldFarmers’ Market or the HOW Collection Wagon at Farmers Market of the Ozarks. Bring your
own surplus garden produce or nonperishable food items, or buy extra produce from a market
vendor to donate. HOW volunteers will deliver your contributions to The Food Bank for you!
• Staff the HOW booth at farmers’ markets and other events.
• Organize a HOW collection site or community garden in your neighborhood or at your
business or place of worship.
• Glean gardens, farms and orchards when produce is ready to be picked.
• Transport food from the farmers markets and other HOW collection sites to The Food Bank,
or deliver food directly to local soup kitchens, emergency food pantries, etc.
• Support HOW-sponsored fundraising events for Ozarks Food Harvest. Look for event
listings on this website’s homepage!
Your small contributions of food, funds and time can make a big difference in the lives of
hungry children, adults and seniors in our own community. Whatever you give will be greatly